dell psu

Picklefactory 12:51 27 Jul 07

Hi folks. Gotta a duff Dell PSU, out of warranty, so needs replacing, question is, there is an extra 4 pin cable coming from the PSU to the mobo, I have no idea what it does or if I can get a non Dell replacement. Any ideas?
Cheers

Sparkly 13:07 27 Jul 07

I think they are all similar just make sure you have enogh of the right connectors and type for your pc setup. The extra 4 pin connector is it a square connector or a longer type molex?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:45 27 Jul 07

here is an extra 4 pin cable coming from the PSU to the mobo

Powers the CPU. All modern PSUs (P4 compatible) will have them.

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

xania 00:01 28 Jul 07

A customer of mine had a Dell with a dodgy PSU. Dell CLAIM that an ordinary PSU could damage their MOBO - tolf me I had to use one of their replacement units and quoted me £125+vat & postage. Recommended to my friend the got a new PC from PC World.

click here

Picklefactory 13:44 29 Jul 07

Thanks folks, sorry for tardy reply, was visiting family where dodgy PSU resides and didn't have internet access much.
The original PSU is only 250w, which I thought a little low for a pc only just over 12 months old. The system is ATX and I can change it easily, my concern was the extra cable. There was an old non Dell pc there with which I swapped the PSU's to see if pc would fire up, fans and lights came on, but nothing else, which is why I questioned the extra cable (The swapped PSU didn't have it) the system was totally dead with the original, I gather I just need to check I have the correct form and size of PSU, but not sure how to check prior to buying, that it has the lead I need. the cable is a 2x2 squareish connection.
Thanks again

Sparkly 14:18 29 Jul 07

Picklefactory sounds like its a 12v cpu connector
click here Take a look at the image gallery image 2

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:39 29 Jul 07

Ask for a P4 compatible PSU, see my post above

Picklefactory 08:38 30 Jul 07

Thanks again folks
Sparkly, that does indeed look like like the animal in question
Fruit Bat /\0/\, great info, cheers. I think that all gives me what I need.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac