Dell product Key different. Is this an issue

Simsy 08:06 02 Feb 08

Folks,

I've just about finished setting up sisters PC after a complete reinstall of XP home, using the Dell supplied OS disc. This seems to be a slightly customised version of the MS installation disc, rather than a "restore" disc which accesses a hidden partition.

It seems that this customised disc negates the need to either enter the product key during installation, (or activate afterwards). Other than that it proogresses as a "normal" xp install

All seems to be well...

However, while running SIW, a computer info prog, to determine what RAM was installed with a vieww to getting some more for it, the installed Product Key can be seen...

This is different to the product key on the sticker on the side of the machine!!

The PC was bought direct from Dell, so there is no reason to suppose there is anything untoward about it, but I'm a little confused. I presume the product key is tied to the installation disc, of which there must be thousands? This would indicate that the same product key is being used on loads of PCs to download updates with no problem, which I thought activation was to stop happening?

What am I missing?

Regards,

Simsy

rawprawn 08:42 02 Feb 08

Perhaps each istallation disc has it's own code linked to a specific machine?
You could clarify with Dell.

Taff™ 08:48 02 Feb 08

It`s called volume licensing and a lot of large system builders us it as well as larger companies. Nothing to worry about but Dell may tell you how to change it if you want to.

Simsy 08:57 02 Feb 08

That makes sense...

So what's to prevent the use of the number on the side of the case being used for another installation?

(Not that I want to!! Just curious!)

Regards,

Simsy

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:10 02 Feb 08

So what's to prevent the use of the number on the side of the case being used for another installation?

The builder (Dell in this case) will have registered all the numbers with Microsoft so they wil know the hardware configuration for that number.

Had a simular problem when WGA said my Medion had a fake copy of XP.

Simsy 10:46 02 Feb 08

of course! I should have realised!

Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…