Dell Power LED Flashing Amber

dellnovice 09:49 15 Oct 07

Hi

After doing nothing out of the ordinary on my Dell Dimension 5000 Desktop.. i went to startup and the power LED is flashing amber and the PC is not booting up. My tech support book says this means it is an internal power problem.

Does this mean I should buy a new PSU and replace?

I am a complete novice to laymans terms would help lol.

Thanks in advance

brundle 10:11 15 Oct 07

It could be one of several components;

Switch off machine, disconnect anything you have plugged in that is not necessary (eg just leave mouse, keyboard and monitor plugged in), try the machine then.
If successful then the PSU itself might be failing, if you can get into Windows check your hard-drive for issues; click here

dellnovice 13:10 15 Oct 07

thanks for that..

if it is the PSU where should I buy one and (as someone who has never opened up a computer!)should I take it to a shop to replace?

brundle 16:26 15 Oct 07

Some Dell machines used non-standard power supplies, I don't think that is the case any more but check very very carefully that the wire colours to the motherboard connector match on any new PSU you buy, compared to your old one. Replacing it isn't difficult.

Service book; click here

If you're not using a top-of-the-range graphics card, this looks quite a decent bit of kit;
click here

Take your old one out and double check against a PSU at Maplin or similar first

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:03 15 Oct 07

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

lotvic 23:37 15 Oct 07

What do the diagnostics lights at the back show? (they will help to identify the problem)
Which ones are Green and which are Yellow (A. B. C. D. four lights in total) click here

dellnovice 09:07 16 Oct 07

the diagnostic lights are all off

dellnovice 16:07 13 Nov 07

I eventually got around to removing the PSU and took it into my local shop. They said I need to replace it with one from dell. i called dell and they said a new one is £73 + VAT!!
I think thats v steep considering ive seen other PSUs from £10 upwards.
Ive looked on the web for cheaper and found some but all from USA (one for $20 and one for $100).

click here

click here

I assume I can buy one of these cos of the different mains power supplies in UK/US?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5