Dell Portable case hinge

CyprusJohn 08:47 AM 04 Feb 12

I am having a problem with the left hand hinge on my Dell 1750 portable. It has stiffened to such an extent that the case is opening up. I live in Cyprus and our local agents want bhideous amounts of money just to look at it (2 Months out of warranty ). Anybnody know where I can get a diagram of the construction or a procedure for opening the hinge to check it?

markd71 08:59 AM 04 Feb 12
  robin_x 11:29 AM 04 Feb 12

Dell Manuals here (incl. Service Manual)

If Dell insist on small spare parts going via their Cyprus distributor, get someone to Jiffy one over from the UK. ie if WD40 doesn't work.

Dell UK Tel 0844 444 3225

CyprusJohn 12:12 PM 04 Feb 12

Perfect! How do you guys know where to find this stuff? presumably I can ask again for where to get a replacement by post?

robin_x 13:03 PM 04 Feb 12

All computer suppliers (and TVs and Washing Machines etc etc) have websites.

So pick a supplier name and try before .com. Then at the Top of the Home Page or Product page, there will be a Support link.

Then you just follow your nose.

Google 'How to search with Google' for tips and tricks on searching.

It's worth asking any supplier to send small low value parts to Cyprus. They may agree. Depends if it needs a Customs Declaration and hassle on their part.

Or if you can get a friend or relative to buy here, can be sent as a "Gift - Value less than $25" or whatever.

Local Post Office or Royal Mail website should have details.

robin_x 13:05 PM 04 Feb 12

Edit: Cyprus is part of the EU now I see. Just needs postage.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: When is Black Friday & what are the best tech Black Friday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the animated Christmas ad everyone's tallking about

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know