Dell pc wont boot

wobbler 09:03 02 Apr 09

My Dell PC running xp pro wont boot. After power on i get a blue screen dskchk in progress, the volume is dirty. It performs the operation but gets to 42% and stops. I have got a windows cd as the restore is on a separate partition on that drive. Is there a way around the dskchk?

johndrew 11:09 02 Apr 09

It seems you have the `Dirty bit` set. To overcome this, you must leave the CHKDSK to run to completion, it may well take some time to do this and may appear to have stalled/frozen.

There should also be the option at the start of the CHKDSK operation to `abort` by pressing any key. Doing this will allow the PC to boot but the problem will not be resolved.

Be aware that CHKDSK will take some considerable time - the larger the drive the more time. More info click here click here

Resolution for this problem is as follows:

Just for informational purposes for anyone that is stuck with a continuous chkdsk on boot. You can check to see if your drive is flagged by opening up a CLI Window (Start menu > Select `Run` > type in `CMD`)

Now type in the following:

FSUTIL DIRTY QUERY C: (followed by the enter key)

(assuming that C: is your boot drive)

If it tells you that your drive is dirty then...

Go back to the CLI window and type in the following

CHKNTFS /X C: (followed by the enter key) - This will stop the disk check on the next reboot

Now reboot your computer: let it reboot and open up another CLI - type in the following:

CHKDSK /F /R C: (followed by the enter key) - Let is scan and check your computer fully

Once it has done so type in the following again as in the first step

FSUTIL DIRTY QUERY C:

The drive bit will be set to clean again

johndrew 11:25 02 Apr 09

For future reference, this is an excellent site for much troubleshooting in XP click here

birdface 11:47 02 Apr 09

Do you not get about 10 seconds to hit any key to stop chkdsk.Maybe try starting in safe mode.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5