Dell PC System Restore

Jackcoms 18:02 07 May 07

I recently formatted the HDD and did a complete re-install of Windows XP on my Dell Inspiron 510m.

I have since read the laptop manual (yeah, I know, I should have done that first) and find that Dell PC System Restore is installed on a hidden partition.

This facility will restore the laptop to factory settings if there is a problem (if I'd known that earlier, I wouldn't have bothered to format and re-install Windows).

Having now formatted and re-installed Windows on the C drive, will Dell PC System Restore still work if I need it in the future?

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:18 07 May 07

The restore should be on the D section of your HD. Assuming you loaded the system onto C and left D alone you will be OK. Check 'my computer' to see if the D partition is still there.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:19 07 May 07

..if it is not there I wouldn't worry too much as you have the XP disk. All you will need are the drivers and you can save these to CD in case you have to reformat again.

G

skidzy 19:20 07 May 07

GANDALF <|:-)> is spot on Jackcoms,though did you format the whole drive or wipe the drive with Killdisk or similar or just format C: ?

You can check by going to Disk Management you may have to show hidden files.

Normally the hidden partition is seen but not accessible on a DEll.

Jackcoms 19:20 07 May 07

Yes, Windows was re-loaded onto C.

Oddly enough, there were never any other drives shown (apart from the DVD/CD drive) in My Computer - even before the format (be it D or E or whatever). I assume that's why Dell refers to it as a 'hidden' partition.

I'll assume all is OK.

Thanks for your response.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced