Dell optiplex GX1 upgrade ????

clayton 20:09 04 Oct 03

A friend has been given this pc, pent 2 333mhz, 32mb pc66 memory onboard sound & graphics 2Gig hard drive.
Now ive checked with aida32 & the motherboard has a intel 8244BX/ZX chipset bios is dated 27/7/98 version A02 looking @ Dell website click here there is a bios for Added support for Pentium III procseeor will this motherboard take this bios version & how do i flash it ? what the largest hard drive this motherboard will take, my friend really wants to surf the net & play games with this pc, any chance of this ?? thanks.

3tg 13:26 08 Oct 03

I don't know the answer clayton, I wish I did, I just thought I would reply to cheer you up. Regards.

stlucia 13:39 08 Oct 03

Just got to this post via that tirade from menocarob2!

Like 3tg, I can't give you a specific answer. But I can tell you that your friend can surf the net and play games with the specification you've quoted provided you have (or install) a modem. I used to do so with an 80Hz processor (upgraded from 25Hz!) until a couple of years ago.

But I qualify this heavily by saying that it won't satisfactorily play modern games, because as chip speeds increase and memory size gets bigger the games also evolve to take full advantage of them (or is it vice-versa?) and so won't run on an older machine. If you can get older games (from a secondhand store) they should be okay.

stlucia 13:43 08 Oct 03

MHz, not Hz in each case!

clayton 13:58 08 Oct 03

Thanks for your replys guys, & 3tg it wasnt getting me down ..lol, ive reformated the pc & given it back now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…