Dell - Open case policy?

speedy12 17:42 04 Apr 05

Hi,
I brought a cheap and cheerful Dell Dimension 3000 during Easter. It doesn't come with a floppy drive or sound card (it has onboard sound).

I would rather fit my own floppy drive since Dell charge an extra £24 for the privilege! I also have a decent sound blaster card which I would like to install.

I’m wondering if you loose your warranty by opening the case? What is their stance? I know MESH have an open case policy.

Regards.

For the record I think I got a bargain:

Intel P4 HT 3.0Ghz
17" TFT
512DDR @ 40mhz
80H/D
48xDVD/CDRW
keyboard/mouse (lol)
Dell 720 printer...

All for just £380 Inc VAT and Del. Tried getting the same spec today and its £700

rawprawn 17:53 04 Apr 05

No, I don't think it is a problem. I have a Dell 4300 and it came with an instruction book on how to fit extra drives etc. Anyway I don't think you are going to do any damage fitting a floppy drive and sound card. You could always contact Dell and ask.

Technotiger 17:54 04 Apr 05

Hi, I think you would probably lose your warranty - but what-the-heck, you have a pretty good set-up and if you want to make it even better I would say, go ahead. What are the chances you are going to need the warranty anyway, I expect it is only for a very limited time - and time flies, at least it does for me.

Cheers.

jbp1982 18:02 04 Apr 05

If there's no sticker/security tab covering the edge of the panels at the back then go for it.

If something breaks just take the components you added out again, who'll know??? Except half of PCA forum that reads this, lol.

Most PC sellers like Mesh, that build to order usually carry open case policies. You'll find that "retail" machines from PCWorld etc have security type stickers stuck to the back of them.

Indigo 1 18:20 04 Apr 05

Some PC's actually have a little microswitch connected to the case cover which log the time and date that the cover was removed.

But it is usually OK for you to install upgrades so long as these do not cause any damamge to the installed components.

Simsy 18:55 04 Apr 05

(just last week), was helping a colleague with some research into getting a PC. I raised this very specific question with Dell...

The answer is that there is no problem with the warranty if you fit a floppy yourself...

However, obviously, the floppy drive you fit isn't covered by the warranty, and if you cause any other damage during the fitting then the warranty is void.

I went to some lengths to establish that this was the case...

In summary, you CAN fit a floppy, or extra RAM yourself and the warranty is still valid.... JUST BE CAREFUL!!

Regards,

Simsy

speedy12 19:23 04 Apr 05

Your reponse's have been great as usual! Thank you.

Much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…