Dell Not Recognising Large Drive

beastieboy 16:05 13 Aug 03

Hi,

My friend has asked me to fix his system but I am coming across some problems.

The drive has been formatted on his Dell 8200 Inspiron system and I belive it's a 110Gb drive. I've read somewhere that the BIOS would not be able to recognise a drive of this size, the drive is a Western Digital drive. I remember when looking at the drive throught partition magic on my system it had a 30Mb FAT partition then the rest of the drive in NTFS format after. However the 110Gb drive is just now one single partition of type NTFS.

I have also read that I will need a utility from Dell to solve this problem. Does such a utility exist and if so how would I use it so that the drive would be recognised by the BIOS so that I can install Windows XP Pro on it - it wasn't also recognised when trying to install this.

Many thanks,

J

beastieboy 17:23 13 Aug 03

Help!

Megatyte 17:48 13 Aug 03

Down Data Lifeguard v10.0 from

click here

AH

beastieboy 17:52 13 Aug 03

So after downloading, will it work - how to use it?

Megatyte 17:52 13 Aug 03

Down = Download :-)

Megatyte 17:57 13 Aug 03

Never used Western D. but I've used similar utilities from other manufacturers. There should be instructions somewhere in the download.

To see what you're getting click here

AH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…