Dell Memory (Pc1066)

Gav5 07:32 06 Jan 09

My uncle was having some speed issues with his Dell 8250(533Mhz). I've done all the software tweaks to speed thing up and this has helped to a certain extent. It currently has 2x256Mb RAM and i suggested an upgrade to give the system a bit more oomph.
The problem is that is seems to use PC1066 Rambus RAM which is incredibly expensive. Crucial don't sell it and Dell want an absolute fortune to upgrade to even 1Gb.
Does anyone have any experience of similar Dell systems ? and can the memory be replaced with PC3200 for example ?

Diodorus Siculus 08:46 06 Jan 09

If I recall correctly RAMBUS is prohibitively expensive; even when it came out it was more expensive than DDR which came out at around the same time.

Sadly, it is not interchangeable with any other RAM - you might find some on Ebay or the like.

Diodorus Siculus 08:48 06 Jan 09

click here for an ebay link to give an idea of what's out there.

Gav5 09:30 06 Jan 09

Thanks Diodorus,

Thats what i thought. It was worth asking though. Had a look on ebay, WOW ! £80 for 1Gb of used memory.

Looks like he'll be keeping what he's got !

Diodorus Siculus 09:34 06 Jan 09

True - a 2ghz dell with 1gb RAM would set you back about the same price!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…