Dell Laptops - hard drives

Peter Lanky 09:26 14 Jan 10

I have been looking at a number of Dell studio laptops recently to find the best deal. I have considered C2D processors and Core i7 processors, but the one thing in common seems to be that the laptop is supplied with a 5400rpm hard drive, with no upgrade option to a superior 7200rpm drive (unless you want 2 drives, which seems at odds to me in a laptop).

I asked Dell online chat the question, and got a series of imbecilic answers, such as 'it comes with a 5400rpm drive' (yes I already know that...duh), 'not compatible' (bangs head against wall), or the final ludicrous suggestion of buying a laptop and a separate 7200rpm drive and fitting it myself.

Does anyone who understands Dell better than I do have any clue why they do this?

Peter Lanky 19:29 14 Jan 10

bump

cream. 19:58 14 Jan 10

laptop hard drive is:-

cheaper, they proably have thousands in stock.

Creates less heat.

Will give greater battery life making their product more saleable.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:08 14 Jan 10

In the real world, you are unlikely to notice any difference between a 5400 and 7200 drive. If you want the lappy, don't faff about, get your credit card out.

G

GaT7 20:14 14 Jan 10

"Does anyone who understands Dell better than I do have any clue why they do this?"

Yes, perhaps the people at the official Dell Forums ttp://en.community.dell.com/forums/3516.aspx. G

GaT7 20:14 14 Jan 10

The link again click here. G

Quiller. 20:15 14 Jan 10

"In the real world, you are unlikely to notice any difference between a 5400 and 7200 drive."

Oh yes you will. Load times will be significantly faster. It would be like increasing your cpu by 15% or putting in 25% more ram.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:39 14 Jan 10

It won't make much noticeable difference for general use such as word processing, image manipulation and Internet. If you are a bonkers gamer, then it might make some difference.

G.

Quiller. 22:44 14 Jan 10

over a 5400 is an increase 33% click here Western Digital pdf. Windows will boot faster. Programs will load quicker and accessing data on the hard drive will be faster. Also writing data to the hard drive will be quicker.

Run any of the charts from click here and see how a 7200 out performs a 5400.

Peter Lanky 10:51 15 Jan 10

Gadalf, I take your point, but a Core i7 processor is aimed at gamers, so I would have expected the hard drive to be in the same league.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…