Dell Laptop will not shut down:

sydhall 21:27 PM 13 Jun 11

Hi, Ref [Dell Mainboard: 1545] Unfortunately for me one of my Granddaughters for whom I bought the laptop only a couple of months ago? Threw a tantrum and smashed the laptop on her dressing table in temper:

I have stripped the laptop down and replaced the base: I have also fitted a reconditioned board plus several other parts: and re-assembled it.

Unfortunately despite putting the laptop back to factory defaults : it will not close down? It appears to do so and immediately reboots.

I have done all the usual bios checks\\; plus unlocking the automatic restart option in advanced properties: plus several others.

I would be grateful for any help?

chub_tor 21:59 PM 13 Jun 11

First thought - is Wake up on LAN enabled in the BIOS? This might be one possible cause, although that should only happen if the laptop is in Hibernate or Sleep rather than off.

Second thought - some viruses have been known to keep the machine active, you might do a virus and malware check.

sydhall 22:02 PM 13 Jun 11

Have already done both:

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:14 PM 13 Jun 11

Stuck pwr button?

sydhall 22:32 PM 13 Jun 11

No: Will power off if you press the power button

woodchip 22:35 PM 13 Jun 11

I would say the Motherboard as got a problem, as that is what controls it all

sydhall 22:42 PM 13 Jun 11

I think possibly it may be a command problem: it would seem when i ask the laptop to shut down? It takes the restart option instead:

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know