dell laptop no cd drive, how2 reinstall windows

GuyR 02:47 26 Feb 05

Hi,
through work I have a dell latitude d400 laptop, that works with no floppy, and an external cd writer drive which through a long process has been recognised as a panasonic unit.

This cd drive connects through a "double decker" USB cable connection that is standard connection and then above it a smaller conection port. This is though one connector not two seperate ones and you can connect/slot in a standard USB into one half of the connector.

The system has for some reason stopped recognising the cd writer, it detects the drive but fails to load the drivers.

I have been through dell support and all the steps they recommend apart from flashing the bios, as I explained to them if this messses up where does this leave me. Dell now think solution is to re-load windows (2000 not xp).

How do you load windows if you have no cd drive or floppy? the laptop has gone back to our IT to reformat drive and re-load windows. I have unfortunately lost my job with said company but would love to know how they get round this problem. Is it by using second usb ports to storage devices, IR / cable connections or via hidden CAB files on hard drive.

Have not tried to contact old IT dept to find out, and may not want to talk to me but intrested to find out how to get round problem.

OH and as an aside, really helpful to be told by Dell support in Calcutta my laptop does not have connections I described, external drive etc. Then after couple of minutes talking with supervisor comes back and knows type of drive unit I am talking about, but still thinks it can be removed from laptop by unclipping (like battery) rather than being connected only by cable.

thanks for any replies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…