DELL Laptop - New H/D - Cannot load Boot/Win 98

pauljohnson 10:58 19 Nov 03

I have purchased a secondhand DELL Laptop (Latitude L400). I have replaced the faulty Hard Drive and tried to reloaded both the boot disc and Win 98, but it won't/can't load. The laptop does NOT have a docking station and I can only plug in one drive at a time ie CD or Floppy.

Do I now need to buy a docking station, or is there another method I can use. Have contacted DELL, but short of buying a docking station (would you buy a car before you knew if it suited your needs?) they have been little help to me (I didn't even have my questions answered). Please use plain speak in your replies, as I am a bit of a novice at present....many thanks!

AndySD 11:17 19 Nov 03

If you can change the First Boot Device in the BIOS to CD and you have access to a cdr drive then make a bootable cd click here

AndySD 11:23 19 Nov 03

click here= may help.

Big Elf 12:24 19 Nov 03

I have a slightly older Dell Latitude and it has a Panasonic CD-ROM. If yours is a Panasonic then email me and I'll forward the drivers and setup programs to you (257k). This will allow you to create a boot floppy and then install the CD-ROM.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…