Dell laptop - message saying no drive detected

wildhouse 13:14 09 Jan 09

My daughter is in a panic at uni. She has a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop, has turned it on and gets an error message saying no drive detected. Her laptop is 17 months old, hence Dell will not help. Can anyone else please advise - thankfully her essays are on a back-up external drive.

PO79 13:16 09 Jan 09

Go into BIOS and make sure the first boot device is set to the HD. Also check no CD\DVD\Floppy Disks have been left in the drives.

MAT ALAN 13:20 09 Jan 09

It has the attributes of a failed HDD

click here

follow thread, it suggests a diagnostic test that she can run....

wildhouse 13:31 09 Jan 09

Hi P079 - I have managed to get into the BIOS on my Dell Dimension with detailed instructions but I don't know how to get in to the BIOS on an Inspiron laptop! When I can get hold of my daughter this evening I will suggest turning the computer on and off several times and see if the advice from MAT ALAN helps!

wildhouse 22:03 09 Jan 09

Turning the computer on and off a few times hasn't worked, so have found the instructions for removing the hard drive in Mat Alan's link. However, both that thread and the Dell website having removing the optical drive in their instructions before removing the hard drive. Would you recommend trying this first? Many thanks.

woodchip 22:22 09 Jan 09

First thing I would try, is just remove the drive from bottom of computer it will be under a Plait if its at the bottom or may be edg mount by two screws. This done with Battery out and mains off. then refit and try it

wildhouse 22:26 09 Jan 09

Are you referring to removing the hard drive? Thanks.

woodchip 22:29 09 Jan 09

Hard Drive

wildhouse 22:31 09 Jan 09

Many thanks - I will get my daughter to try that tomorrow.

laurie53 12:53 10 Jan 09

Don't wish to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I've just had a similar failure on a Toshiba Satellite (see earlier thread).

Turned out to be a (very expensive) motherboard failure.

wildhouse 18:16 13 Jan 09

Sadly removing the hard drive didn't work. Will get my daughter to remove the optical drive, too, but suspect she needs a new hard drive. Have been on the Dell website and their drives appear to be 3-4 times as expensive as anywhere else! Apparently she has a 120GB SERIAL ATA (5400 RPM) hard drive. Looking on the DABS website, they appear to have Serial ATA-150 and ATA-300. As they have more ATA-150 I am assuming that this is what I need to get. PC World do Hitachi Travelstar 5K250 120GB 2.5" SATA Internal Hard Disk Drive. Amazon do Western Digital Scorpio Blue 120GB SATA 8MB Cache 2.5 inch Internal Hard Drive. Any advice? Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now