Dell laptop Inspiron 1501

ellenripley 18:00 25 Sep 10

I have had to install Windows XP after my computer crashed?

In my Device Manager there is exclamation marks next to Network Controller, SMBUS Controller, Video Controller. I cannot get on to my internet connection but can access my friends internet connection. I have looked for downloads on the Dell website for Inspiron 1501. I've pressed the download button but when I've tried to update the driver it is saying it can't find anything. I'm not very computer friendly. Can anyone help.

woodchip 18:09 25 Sep 10

You need to download the Network Controller Driver for your PC on to a USB memory card or Stick. Put it in your PC then you should be able to run the Program on the Stick by Double click on it or Run the Setup.exe file by double click on that.

PS I would say that its a built into Motherboard Card so Motherboard Drivers are what you should be looking for. or the above

woodchip 18:11 25 Sep 10

PS when you download the driver, make a note of the name and where you download it to

bremner 18:11 25 Sep 10
  MAJ 18:14 25 Sep 10

They are exe files, just double-click them to install.

ellenripley 18:45 25 Sep 10

Thank you for your replies. I have been on the Dell Support and tried to download but it said can't download. I haven't been ownloadin onto a USB memory stick though.

MAJ 18:52 25 Sep 10

You don't need to download to a memory stick, ellenripley, you can download it to your friend's computer then copy it to a memory stick and from there to your own computer. Why are you not able to download the files using your friend's computer, are you getting any error messages from the Dell site?

ellenripley 19:22 25 Sep 10

Hi I'm using my own computer but I'm on my cousins internet connection and don't have a problem with their connection. When I'm at home I cannot get on to the internet for some reason. In the Device Manager I have exclamation marks against Network Controller, SMBUS and Video Controller. When I try to download drivers from the Dell Support Website it says cannot download as parts are missing.

ellenripley 21:01 25 Sep 10

I've gone through Internet Explorer instead of Firefox and I've managed to download the drivers now. Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…