dell laptop help

willymagic 17:59 03 Sep 06

hi there..

I took delivery on fri of my brand new laptop from dell, i bought the inspiron 6400 and paid £670..cost me a bit more than the standard price as i bought a graphics card for gaming, at the time of order they had some great offers on.. double memory from 512 mb to 1024 mb and also upgrade hardrive from 80Gb to 120 gb. I have now had it a couple of days and everything was fine, i have got it all set up to how i want it and transfered all files and software from my old desktop pc on to my new laptop which took ages, however this morning when checking hardrive space i have noticed i have only got 80Gb and not the 120Gb they offered when i bought it, on the order note it says upgrade from 80 to 120 so no worries there.. I would just like to know what i should do about this, i mean is it worth the hassle of taking the laptop back etc for the extra space? because maybe 80gb will be plenty enough but its just the principle of the thing!

any advice would be really appreciated.

thanks

STREETWORK 18:11 03 Sep 06

You need to go back to dell as it is still under warrenty.

woodchip 18:16 03 Sep 06

A 120 Gb drive does not reg as 120 in windows, Also Restore takes up a lot of space, You can change the settings. Plus there is all what you loaded and what was on already

sean-278262 18:25 03 Sep 06

I would get it sorted personally 40gb is quite a lot of space and you did pay for it. Basically what you are doing if you dont do it is giving a stranger 40gbs worth of money and walking on.

Call Dell and say what has happened. I presume you have right clicked the drive in my computer and then checked the total capacity it should be 111gb-112gb without a restore partition so expect something over 100gb with a restore partition usually about 108 - 109gb total if it has a partition hidden away.

Al94 18:31 03 Sep 06

If that is the case, contact Dell, I'm sure you will find they will sort the issue very quickly.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:34 03 Sep 06

Personally I would ask Dell for refund the difference. You have spent time setting it up and the loss of 40Gb is no great shakes. Use the refund to buy an external HD which will be of much more use.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:45 03 Sep 06

click here just found this that should explain the 'missing' 40Gs

G

willymagic 19:02 03 Sep 06

thanks guys for all your responces.. and to you Gandalf thats exactly where it is!! right click/start/explore and i have a backup(d) drive with 26.5GB!! my first laptop so do excuse me for being totaly dumb!! just never realised i had a back up drive!!.. ok this time i will let Dell off and i take back all the choice words i was saying about them!!

many thanks.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:09 03 Sep 06

No need to apologise, I had forgotten how much backup drives used. ;-))

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…