dell laptop formated harddrive

wooster007 17:39 05 May 06

Hi can any of you helpful people help me out with this mess
I recently formated my dell laptop which was running windows 98, hoping just to reinstall everything back with no problems but.....
now my laptop wont reconignise my external cd rom drive i have a usb cd rom and a pcmcia ide
my specs are dell 400mhz processor 6 gig harddrive and i think its got 128 memory not sure

i have no floppy drive at all
any ideas how to reinstall o.s

please help!!!

wooster007 17:49 05 May 06

any ideas why it wont recognise external usb cd rom

Tabvla 18:04 05 May 06

Don't know if this is relevant but I will try....

As you were running W98 I am making an assumption that the laptop is more than 5 years old. On laptops from that period, Dell had a very small, hidden partition that contained code that was critical for the system to boot and recognise the environment and periferals.

If you reformatted the disk you might have deleted this partition and that might be the reason why nothing is being recognised.

Solution? You would need a Dell expert to tell you how to fix this. I simply don't know if it would be worth it.

wooster007 18:12 05 May 06

is there no way i could connect the harddrive to my pc and install an operating system that way???

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:04 05 May 06

is there no way i could connect the harddrive to my pc and install an operating system that way???

Yes you could but XP will install the drivers for the mother board of the PC you install on NOT the Dell drivers.

try it but remove the drivers as per
Drivers to disable BEFORE changing motherboard
click here

before fitting to dell machine

wooster007 19:14 05 May 06

no could i take the harddrive out of the laptop and connect the harddrive from my laptop to my pc and install windows 98?????

i am running xp on my pc though

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:19 05 May 06

Windows 98 will do the same.

Jackcoms 19:29 05 May 06

Duplicate thread click here

Terry Brown 19:50 05 May 06

Just a thought- A quick searck on EBay gives alot of possibilities click here=

Good Luck

wooster007 10:20 06 May 06

thanks to every one who have posted but still no luck

Kalb 11:02 06 May 06

How did you manage to format your laptop initially ?
Did you use the instruction Format C: /s to ensure that all system files are retained.If you did a straight format they will have been lost.
What about the Dell website, find your model and search FAQ's.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…