Dell Laptop Died, RIP?

naineysman 19:40 12 Feb 10

My niece has a Inspiron 6400, about 3 years old. It suddenly died during use and now wont switch on.

Power indicator is lit when plugged in,

Battery seems to be charging (bat lights are filling)

When the i/o button is pressed, the i/o light illuminates for about 2 seconds then goes off?

I've tried different batteries and power leads, ruled them out.

Any tips where I can start looking

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:49 12 Feb 10

Remove battery and try on mains only.

naineysman 19:50 12 Feb 10

should have mentioned i tried that

jack 20:10 12 Feb 10

Like to power switch or a more sinister such as a Mo-Bo component- trouble is it will cost [£50 approx mnin] to find out if it is repairable or bin it-
Buy a copy of MictoMart to check out reasonable repairers or even a Google may turn up something.

jack 20:12 12 Feb 10
  rdave13 20:23 12 Feb 10

Try removing the battery, mains adapter. Press and hold the power button for two minutes.
Connect power adapter (without battery) and see if it will power up.

naineysman 21:10 12 Feb 10

No joy, still the same

PalaeoBill 00:16 13 Feb 10

Try re-seating the ram. If that doesn't work I would have a look through the service manual and try removing the peripherals (hard drive, dvd etc.) just to see if it will boot at minimum configuration.
Turn the keyboard upside down, give it a shake (its amazing the effect a pin or needle in the wrong place can have).

Service manual:
click here

naineysman 13:03 13 Feb 10

I've had the HD out, the DVD out, the keyboard out, the RAM reseated, tried power withand without the above (except the RAM obviously) NO change,

I then took out the power switch and reseated that, still the same, wee green light for 2 seconds then nothing?

naineysman 13:25 13 Feb 10

Any point changing this, will it have any possible impact?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:29 13 Feb 10

Possible but unlikely.

I'm afraid it sounds like motherboard or cpu failure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…