Dell Laptop Back Up to E Drive

hallgreen 07:24 21 Oct 09

Hello

I have a Dell Inspiron with Windows and it has a split hard drive (is that the right phrase?)and backs up to the E Recovery Drive. Automatic back up is turned on but everytime it says "the last file back up did not complete successfully". It then asks if I want to try again and if I do the same message comes up immediately.

There seems to be space on the E drive.

I don't understand what I need to do. I wonder if anyone can help.

Thanks very much

Technotiger 08:05 21 Oct 09

The correct phrase is 'Partition(ed)'

Is your E: drive a separate drive, or is E: the Partition on C: Drive?

The best way to make backups is by using Acronis True Image and saving the backups to an External Drive.

If you are saving backups to the same drive as your OS, (C: drive), if that drive dies your backups are useless too.

crosstrainer 08:12 21 Oct 09

Your laptop has a recovery partition which was set up in the factory prior to sale. Most lappy's have this, and you may need to update software from the Dell site.

You don't mention which Operating System you are using but the links for Dell are:

click here

Make sure you have your exact model number to hand, and follow any instructions you are given before installing new updates.

Also wise to backup your critical data prior to installation.

hallgreen 22:37 21 Oct 09

Thanks for the help. I'm using Visa (perhaps unfortunately!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…