Dell laptop abruptly shuts off.

Ajola 10:32 AM 14 Mar 12
Answered

hi. i have a dell inspiron laptop..with windows 7..it is the recent one..as soon as i turn it on..after 3 mins or so it turns off..i cant even get to the internet to actually try any of the solutions mentioned regarding this problem. Please help thanks:)when i put my finger near the fan..i can feel the air coming but slowly..soo.

robin_x 11:27 AM 14 Mar 12
Answer

Sounds like overheating.

Initially all you can do is vacuum and blow the inlet and outlet vents with a can of crompressed air.

If that allows you to boot up, download Core Temp to see what the temperatures are getting up to.

Further cleaning will mean disassembly to get at the fan and heatsink fins.

The fan may also be sticking or may need lubrication, or worst case, replacing.

Ajola 12:24 PM 14 Mar 12

Alright thanks for that but after i blow it out with compressed air.. and it boots up then is it important to check the temp..and what is the range considered ok for the temp? i am not really familiar with fan cleaning and diassembling the parts so i guess if it doesn't work i will just show it to professional. anyway Thanks a lot for your help:)

robin_x 12:32 PM 14 Mar 12

My laptop idles at 55 deg C. Rises to say 70-75 deg C under load, several heavy duty apps open and running or boot up.

Shuts down at 90 deg C.

I prefer having an idea of temperature with a figure displayed in the System Tray near the time/date. Core Temp displays down there.

Laptops are notorious for this. That's why it is always important to keep the vents unobstructed and be careful if using on lap or duvet etc.

Woolwell 12:56 PM 14 Mar 12

"Laptops are notorious for this. That's why it is always important to keep the vents unobstructed and be careful if using on lap or duvet etc." The name laptop is bad as they don't like laps.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…