Dell Laptop 5150 locks up

thegremlin 19:46 04 Oct 08

I have a Dell laptop 5150 that locks up after a few mins of being turned on. I can shut it off and back on and it then goes to a black screen with the cursor blinking in the courner. If I let it sit for a few hours I can get log in but then after a few mins it freezes and I am back to square one.I can not access an files the laptop is just locked up. I have tried to do a reboot but again the latop locks up. The fans are working and I can feel air coming out of the vents. Help please!

brundle 20:44 04 Oct 08

Hard to diagnose such faults in laptops, all the components on one densely packed board. Can you run a Linux Live-CD for any length of time? This one is pretty handy without approaching the 650mb+ of Ubuntu et al. click here Have you run a disk check? Does it happen regardless of battery or mains power?

woodchip 20:50 04 Oct 08

Sounds like a Drive Fault, Will it start and run okay in Safe Mode

woodchip 20:52 04 Oct 08

Sounds like a Drive Fault, Will it start and run okay in Safe Mode.

PS it could also be A corrupt Hard Drive, This would need sorting in Safe Mode if you can get there. If not you may need to run a program from a floppy to check the drive

thegremlin 23:06 04 Oct 08

I can not work in Safe Mode, it still locks up after a few mins

cheap 09:35 05 Oct 08

Is the hard drive getting warm to the touch after a few minutes. If this is the case get a carton of orange or milk (unopened) and place it under the drive compartment. This will keep the drive running cooler and it may give you enough time to retrive vital files before your hard drive packs up.

cheap 09:36 05 Oct 08

Should of said get the carton out of fridge.

woodchip 17:38 05 Oct 08

Sounds like a faulty hard drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…