Dell Inspiron2600 new motherboard or new laptop?

wishtobwireless 19:05 17 Jan 08

I have,tried to plug in the power lead and somehow bent one on the three pins which is apparantly part of the motherboard. Dell require £238.00 plus vat to repair it! I have looked on some sites and the cheapest new one I have found is £170 plus vat. It seems to me that it might be better for me to buy a new laptop? My problem is how do we get the information, off the old laptop without power?
I may add that the laptop is my daughters who is away and I was just going to borrow it for ten minutes! Ugh!
Just wondered if you guys had any other ideas! A friend said that maybe the pin could be bent back and perhaps soldered! No idea if this is really an option or not.
Any assistance as always would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:19 17 Jan 08

My problem is how do we get the information, off the old laptop without power?

Remove HDD and fit as slave to another PC using an adaptor cable click here

or

Remove HDD and fit in external caddy plug in USB port to another PC click here

cream. 19:22 17 Jan 08

' Just wondered if you guys had any other ideas! A friend said that maybe the pin could be bent back and perhaps soldered! '

You've nothing to loose, try it. Just make sure you take out the hard drive and the memory before you try it. If it will not work, just use a caddy or adaptor as per Fruit Bat /\0/\.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:29 17 Jan 08

A friend said that maybe the pin could be bent back and perhaps soldered!

Trust dell to have a Non standard DC jack socket
I would attempt to straighten the pin with a small piair of pliers or tweezers.
As long as it doesn't snap it should be alright

DC socket repairs from £75 click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009