Dell Inspiron Windows 7- Dell 1397 Wireless Adaptor - can't enable.

onthelimit1 10:20 11 Nov 14
Answered

This laptop had some user profile problems. Now sorted, but no wireless icon and no connection. I have uninstalled the WLAN driver, then downloaded the latest one from Dell. In DevMan, WLAN adaptor shows as working normally. In Network and Sharing Centre, Wireless Network Connection shows as Disabled. I right click and choose Enable - a panel pops up, says enabling then Enabled, but Wireless Network Connection still shows Disabled. Off out for a couple of hours - any thoughts welcome (I'm sure I've had this snag before, but memory isn't what it was!).

onthelimit1 13:13 11 Nov 14

Update. If I try to open the Dell Wireless Manager, it says no adaptors are present or enabled.

onthelimit1 13:32 11 Nov 14
Answer

Tried a System Restore to yesterday (windows updates) and now nit's working! Must be an update - I'll try installing them one at a time.

onthelimit1 19:16 11 Nov 14

I've now determined that Windows 7 SP 1 is causing the problem (well, similar problem - I'm getting Limited Access). Anyone come across this before?

rdave13 19:37 11 Nov 14

Try rolling back the WLAN driver and stop Win Update updating it, if there was an update for it.

onthelimit1 20:34 11 Nov 14

thanks rdave. Roll back driver greyed out, so don't think SP1 updated it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…