Dell Inspiron Vista laptop BSOD / freezing / crash

GriffinM 11:50 27 Jul 10

Hi; new to the forum so apologies in advance for being clueless.

Massive thanks in advance to anyone who can try to help with my problem!

I've had this laptop just over a year and had no problems until recently, when I restored the machine to factory settings on the advice of a friend who works in IT (I'd had some problems, possibly AVG-related and couldn't boot up at all). No other changes have been made to hardware or software - in other words it's the same setup that's worked fine up until now.

At first (for 48 hours or so) everything seemed fine. Then, for several days after restoring the settings the laptop would boot to Windows but freeze up completely 2-3 minutes later and I had to power off and try again; I tried changing power usage and sleep / hibernate settings but the outcome was the same again and again and the amount of time before it froze wasn't sufficient for me to download updates or drives in case that is the problem. Once it froze I got no response from CTRL+ALT+Delete but if I C/A/D before the freeze I get a black screen (only the pointer visible) for 30 seconds, then an error message box saying "Logon process has failed to create the security options dialog - Failure - security options".

Finally I left the laptop on overnight to boot windows normally, since I'd noticed on occasion one or two functions did seem to be working, just extremely slowly. Now I have BSOD w/ messages and can't enter Safe Mode (the computer restarts and offers me Startup Repair and Boot Normally, both of which lead to the BSOD). The blue screen comes with an error message, sometimes 'This application has failed to start because user32.dll was not found' and the rest of the time 'This application has failed to start because basesrv was not found' .

A few days ago I ran a boot test (diagnostics) at startup and got the following:

[Memory - March U Test]
ErrorCode 0123
Error Code 2000-0123 Memory integrity test failed

Error Code 3600:0749
AC_Adapter_Invalid AC Adapter detected

I haven't physically touched the RAM or any other internals and the AC adapter is the one that came with the laptop, which I've been using without any problems for over a year.

Again, any help would be much appreciated.

The specs are:

Dell Inspiron 1545
Vista Home Basic
Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
Intel Celeron CPU
Bios: Dell A05 25/2/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Installed RAM 3.0GB
Total Physical Memory 2.96GB
Available Physical Memory 1.69GB
Total Virtual Memory 6.12GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.83GB
Page File Space 3.25GB

Thanks again,
Grif

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:21 27 Jul 10

Get a vacuum cleaner on the grills and suck out all the dust and fluff.

Then I would be tempted to do another factory reset to try and get it to boot plus once boed do a chkdsk /r on the drive

northumbria61 15:25 27 Jul 10

You can start by reading this - click here

You also need Service Pack 2 for Vista - click here

GriffinM 17:05 27 Jul 10

Thanks guys. I did a pretty thorough job of vacuuming everything, checked the internal for anything loose or dirty and disconnected then reconnected the HD. Tried to boot up again and this time I got a variation on the previous error messages, this time pointing to 'winsrv'...
I'm hoping to avoid another factory reset because of the amount of data, music, etc I'll lose with a reformat. As for Service Pack 2, I tried repeatedly to d/l and install it last week when I was still able to get to the desktop but even on the most successful attempts it got to 99% downloaded and then froze completely (meaning everything). Not sure how to get it onto the system, especially now I can't even access Windows.
As far as the links about the user32.dll error and sfc mode, I can't get into Safe Mode or Command Prompt to try them but I really appreciate the effort nonetheless.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:09 27 Jul 10

can you remove the drive and connect to another PC?

you can then backup all your data.

Its looking like a corrupt windows installation possibly caused by a failing hard drive.

Do you have a VISTA DVD? maybe a repair is required

You need to look at Windows Vista's Repair Your Computer options.

* Startup repair - This automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting
* System Restore - This will Restore Windows to an earlier point in time
* Windows Complete PC Restore - This will completely restore your entire PC - programs, system settings and files - from a back up that you have previously created (Available in Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions only)
* Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - This checks your computer's memory hardware for errors
* Command Prompt - This opens a Command Window

With the Complete PC Restore Option you must have made a backup of your system, either on your hard drive or on a set of DVDs, in order to use this option. If you don't have a backup then don't use this option

How you access the repair options will depend upon whether you have a Windows Vista installation disk or whether your operating system came pre-installed by your PC manufacturer.

Pre-Installed Options
NOTE

If no repair options are available your PC manufacturer may have replaced the tools or customised them. Check your Computer Manual before proceeding.

1/ Start your PC

2/ If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appear you will need to start again

3/ If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Vista operating system and Press the F8 key

4/ In both cases, if all has gone well, an Advanced options screen will now appear

5/ Highlight the repair Your Computer option and Press Enter

6/ Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button

7/ Next select your user Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK

8/ The recovery options should now appear

Windows Installation Disk
NOTE

1/ make sure your PC can boot directly from the Vista DVD. Obviously, most modern PCs can. With older machines you may need to check the PC's BIOS

2/ Start the PC

3/ Immediately insert the Windows Vista DVD into the DVD drive

4/ A Black screen will appear with the words 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD'

5/ Press Any key to start the booting process

6/ A new screen will now appear with a progress bar. The legend say's 'Windows is loading files'

7/ After a few minutes the Microsoft copyright window ill appear and another small progress bar will be visible

8/ You will next see a Blue curtained screen

9/ After a short while the Language option screen will appear

10/ Select your language and keyboard language and the Click the Next button

11/ At the bottom left of the next screen - the Install screen, Click on the Repair Your Computer option

12/ The System recovery options will now search for your Windows Vista installation

13/ Once the Vista installation has been located, Highlight it and then Click the Next button

14/ You are now presented with the set of recovery options

15/ Click on the Option you require and follow the onscreen prompts

GriffinM 18:48 27 Jul 10

Wow, thanks FruitBat :)

None of the following work for me as the system BSODs no matter which I select:
* Startup
* System Restore
* Command Prompt - This opens a Command Window

This one will be an absolute last resort since I have a ton of data and media I don't want to lose:
* Windows Complete PC Restore

I tried connecting the laptop to my ancient desktop via USB but that doesn't seem to be doing a thing so copying files doesn't seem to be an option.

1/ Start your PC & 2/ If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appear you will need to start again
>>> No problems

3/ If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Vista operating system and Press the F8 key
>>> No dual boot, just straight to Advanced Boot Options

4/ In both cases, if all has gone well, an Advanced options screen will now appear
>>> A-okay

5/ Highlight the repair Your Computer option and Press Enter
>>>> Black screen for 3 minutes, then BSOD with 'STOP: c0000135 {unable to locate component} This application has failed to start because GDI32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem'.

6/ Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button & 7/ Next select your user Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK & 8/ The recovery options should now appear
>>> Not happening. Swear. Look out window. Take up smoking again.

Found my Vista disc and the other discs that came bundled with the unit, but will repairing with that cost me my data?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:17 27 Jul 10

Certainly doesn't like the windows files on your hard drive.

try the same thing from the Vista CD if still same then I would be tempted to download and burn a live linux CD like slax click here and boot from that in an attempt to rescue your files before formatting / scrapping the drive and reinstalling Vista from scratch.

GriffinM 20:37 27 Jul 10

12/ The System recovery options will now search for your Windows Vista installation
>>> Got the disc running up to this point and am currently in the CD-ROM directory looking at folders for 'boot', 'langpacks', 'support', 'efi', 'sources' and 'upgrade', plus an autorun icon.
Hmm...I'm guessing Autorun?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…