Dell Inspiron Laptop 1545 Wireless Adaptor

Duncanf 23:48 16 Jan 11

I had to reinstall Vista recently and since then have not been able to get wireless connection. I have BT Total Broadband and can only get internet connection with an ethernet cable to the hub. BT says there isn't a wireless adaptor installed but there was no problem before the reinstallation of Vista operating system. Could this be a driver issue and how can I get or download the relevant one?

bremner 23:56 16 Jan 11

Yes it sounds like no driver is installed.

Go to Device Manager and look and see if you have a yellow exclamation mark next to any entry.

If you have then this is likely to be the Wireless Adapter.

You should have a motherboard disk that was supplied with the laptop if not click here=

bremner 23:57 16 Jan 11

Specificallt this one click here

Duncanf 16:18 17 Jan 11

Thanks for info. Looked at Device Manager and 3 Network Adaptors are shown, two of them having yellow exclamation marks at them. Those two are:
3 Com Dual Port 10/100/1000 PCI-X Server NIC and Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-card. The other one is Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet
Controller. At the moment I'm using an ethernet cable from BT Hub. I downloaded the drivers I thought were relevant from the Dell site but no success. Obviously I'm missing something out! Thanks again.

GaT7 17:00 17 Jan 11

Did you follow the install procedure mentioned under 'Installation Instructions' in bremner's link?

The Marvell driver if required is available at click here.

More related drivers under Network in this link click here. G

Ashrich 17:04 17 Jan 11

Can I ask how a dual port server NIC got into a laptop as this is normally a standard PCI card for desktops . If this item was never there before , delete it and reboot . The drivers for the Dell 1397 should work correctly although they may need unpacking . Create a folder on the desktop and put the unpacked drivers into it , then you can navigate to them from device manager .

Ashley

Duncanf 18:48 17 Jan 11

Thanks to both for information. I wasn't sure which drivers to download from bremner's link but assumed they would be Network Adaptor ones. I downloaded the Marvell one and thought I had downloaded the Dell 1397 one but the yellow exclamation says otherwise! Will keep trying! Silver surfer of 72!

GaT7 18:51 17 Jan 11

The Dell 1397 download is click here.

Or the 2nd item under Network in my 2nd link. G

Duncanf 19:22 17 Jan 11

Thanks. Downloaded Dell 1397,ran the set-up, configuration and was told to restart computer.
Went to Device Manager to still find yellow exclamation mark. Right clicked on Dell 1397 LAN Mini card and clicked 'Update driver software' to get message 'Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device' It found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it. This device (Dell LAN card)cannot start (Code 10) Still trying!

Duncanf 22:08 19 Jan 11

Still struggling with the loss of wireless connection. I've done everything I've been asked to do yet there is still a yellow exclamation mark against one of the three adaptors highlighted under Network Adaptors. When I right click on that one (Dell wireless 1397 WLAN Mini card,) and click 'Update drivers', I get this message: 'The best driver software for your device is already installed' and 'The software is up to date.' I'm puzzled.

Ashrich 23:39 19 Jan 11

As I said before , your laptop doesn't have a 3Com server NIC so delete/un-install it and see if the driver is listed in programs and features and remove those as well

Next disable your Windows firewall ( or any other you are using ) and un-install any Anti-virus software ( yes , remove it , you can re-add it later ) and then , in Device manager , un-install the drivers for the wireless card .

Reboot the laptop and let Windows find the card , with the ethernet cable attached Vista can look on Windows update and/or the laptop for the drivers .

If it then install Ok you can then re-install the anti-virus and re-enable the firewall . See if that does it ....

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos