Dell Inspiron Hard Drive Problem - Failure?

freddie911boot 09:12 14 Jun 07

Help!
I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop which is probably around five years old. For the last couple of days it has been turning itself off
and today it won’t boot up at all. The Dell welcome screen appears and then a black screen with white writing appears which states:
Primary hard disk drive not found. Fixed optical drive nor found. No bootable devices. Strike F1 to retry boot. F2 for set-up utility.
(At the second screen it goes BEEP BEEP).

I use it mainly for recording magazines for the blind and have a number of hours which I need to get off. The hard drive is divided into two partitions. Does it mean that the hard drive has failed and, if so, is it possible to get the data off the second partition?

Thank you.

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:26 14 Jun 07

It does sound like the HD has gone kaputt. You could have a look at the connections to make sure that they are Ok but if the disk has gone there is very little chance of recovering anything unless you go to the professionals who charge £1500 upwards.
You could put the OS disk in or borrow an XP disk to see if you can access the recovery feature
You could try taking it out, putting it into an HD enclosure and connecting by USB to another machine to see if there is anything in it.

If anything this illustrates the importance of backups.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…