Dell Inspiron 8600 start up problems - video bios?

Y Fenni 1 18:13 16 Sep 08

Hi, I hope somebody can shed some light on my problem, which is that I get a continuous beep after turning on the computer. The computer then appears to shut down. No messages are shown on screen as nothing starts up, so the computer doesn't get that far.

Description of problem

Although Windows XP has been updated to service pack 3. No drivers have ever been updated to my knowledge since the computer was bought. In an attempt to speed up the computer I decided to update some drivers from the Dell uk website on 12/Sep/08.
The list of drivers downloaded is as follows;

Dell Application - Driver reset tool 07/02/2005 1.02L
Dell Application - Crash analysis tool 16/05/2006 1.0.0.6 (EMT) A05
Sonic Solutions Application - Record Now 7.0 (Dual Layer) 26/01/2006 4.98, B
HLDS - Firmware GCC-4241N Slim 24/24/24x Combo Drive 28/01/2004 A101, A01.00
Broadcom Driver 440x 10/100 integrated controller 19/05/2005 v.4.23-NDIS
NVIDIA - Bios Geforce FxGo5200 15/09/2004 4.34.20.42.E1 A03
NVIDIA - Driver Geforce FxGo5200 16/08/2005 6.14.10.7811, A05

All appeared to download correctly however, when it came to restart the computer. The computer would not restart. It appeared to an un-educated eye that at least one of the display drivers for the NVIDIA Geforce FxGo5200 did not load correctly. (bios?)
When turning on the machine the power comes on, the three lights( num lock, caps lock & scroll lock ) come on together but then go out to be followed by a long continuous beep - more correctly a long burst of continuous beeps. After this nothing else happens. Nothing appears on the display and I've tried to restart it from the cd-rom drive but after an initial start-up from the drive the drive then stops and the beeps come on. How do I restart my computer - without losing any data on the hard disk drive?

I have tried to start the computer from the cd-rom/dvd drive with windows xp disk and dell utilities disk to no avail. I also tried turning on the computer with the "fn" key depressed. This time the scroll lock light came on, the caps lock light flashed and the num lock light stayed unlit. The computer may or may not have also emitted a very low continuous beep but this was so low as to be indistinct so am not sure if this was connected to the lights. After this however nothing else happened.

Any ideas greatly received.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:32 16 Sep 08

Keep tapping F8 at start see if you can boot to safe mode.

then delete the video driver.

kidsis 10:48 17 Sep 08

if you still cannot boot as fruit bat suggests, do you have another computer or a kind friend with a computer? If so you could get an external usb case, put in your hard drive and try to connect via usb 2.0. If this works you may be able then to do what fruit bat suggests.

Y Fenni 1 11:01 17 Sep 08

OK, thanks for that both of you, I'll give it a go. I'll try connecting to my desktop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac