Dell inspiron 6400 upgrade

gmpy1 17:22 09 Sep 09

my dell at present has a Fujitsu HD MHW2080BH ATA
80gb
I want to replace it wih a 250GB HD i did try one by Seagate who asured me that it would be fine,however when I tried it in the PC I found it had a quite diferent power connection,do youknow of a suitable Fujitsu drive ...fighting into the fujitsu page is a nightmare!!!
This must be the best forum for Silver surfers there is
George

GaT7 17:28 09 Sep 09

Hi gmpy1, I think you purchased a SATA drive instead of an IDE one.

What is the model number of your Dell?

There are two possible options:

1. Keep the SATA drive & get an PCI SATA card, e.g. click here.

You might also require the correct power cable adapter, e.g. click here

OR

2. Return the SATA drive & get an IDE drive, e.g. click here

G

GaT7 19:40 09 Sep 09

Sorry, ignore all that I said before!

You're talking about a laptop here, aren't you?

They may have sent you an IDE drive? What's the make & model number of the one they sent you?

From the 80Gb part number you provided, you'll need to get a SATA drive by the looks of it. Also see click here. G

gmpy1 20:36 09 Sep 09

Crossbow:
thanks for your coments:Dell inspiron 6400
the fujitsu disk in it is a MHW2080BH ATA the seagate is a ST9250827AS momentus 5400.4 250GB 2.5SATA 3GB/s
dos this help its just the four pins on the seagate as to the four pads on the fujitsu
george

GaT7 21:01 09 Sep 09

Pins are usually IDE while the pad-like connector is SATA - side-by-side comparison of the pins click here. Which one does you old drive most resemble?

Does the MHW2080BH have the Serial ATA sign on the label? See click here (PDF manual) on page 51 clearly shows a SATA pad connector. G

gmpy1 21:05 09 Sep 09

Hi i have pictures of them side by side can I email them to you??

GaT7 21:31 09 Sep 09

Why don't you host the pics on Imageshack click here, then post the direct link(s) here so that everyone can have a look. G

gmpy1 22:04 09 Sep 09

OK i think i have done this??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…