dell inspiron 6400 problems.. HELP!!!

willymagic 11:42 26 Oct 06

Hi there.. im hoping someone can help me out here.

Basicaly i bought two of these laptops a couple of months ago, one for me and one for a friends daughter, mine works fine however my friends daughter has a problem, windows will not load at all.. when you turn on power it boots up and then you get this screen click here if you click any of the options it starts to load up properly and you see the dell XP windows screen and just as it seems to work i get this screen everytime click here

Its tearing my hair out, if someone could help me out i would be extremely grateful, i thought it might be just the case of trying a recovery disk but i never had one with this laptop..

many thanks in advance..

will

MichelleC 11:48 26 Oct 06

It looks like the bios needs resetting or xp isn't properly installed. Not sure if it'll work for a lappy but press F8 on bootup and you'll have some options, one of which is to reload to factory settings. The bios will then connect to a hidden reload partition.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:01 26 Oct 06

Damaged File System
If the second parameter (0xbbbbbbbb) of the Stop error is 0xC0000032, then the file system is damaged.

If this is the case, restart the computer to the Recovery Console, and then use the chkdsk /r command to repair the volume. After you repair the volume, check your hardware to isolate the cause of the file system damage.

To do this, use the following steps:
1. Start your computer with the Windows startup disks, or with the Windows CD-ROM if your computer can start from the CD-ROM drive.
2. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to select the repair option.
3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
4. Type the administrator password when you are prompted to do so.

NOTE: If no administrator password exists, press ENTER.
5. At the command prompt, on the drive where Windows is installed, type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER.
6. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER to restart your computer.For additional information about how to use the Recovery Console in Windows XP, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
314058 (click here) Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console
If this procedure does not work, repeat it and use the fixboot command in step 5 instead of the chkdsk /r command.
Back to the top Back to the top

recap 12:01 26 Oct 06

click here it may help point you in the right direction.

Belatucadrus 12:08 26 Oct 06

Will it start in SafeMode ? If it does try to check for disk errors:-
1) Open My Computer, and then select the local disk you want to check.
2) On the File menu, click Properties.
3) On the Tools tab, under Error-checking, click Check Now.
4) Under Check disk options, select both the Automatically fix file system errors & Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check boxes. Then reboot.
If that doesn't work, have a look on your laptop for the Dell Users manual, there should be a short cut to it on the desktop, if not it's probably located at C:\dell\docs\manual\D8833A00.pdf Have a look under Solving Problems / Restoring your operating system, it should outline the various methods possible, depending how the OS restore is partitioned.

willymagic 12:43 26 Oct 06

hi,

sorry havent had chance to reply yet, i have been online to a dell technician, told me to run diagnostics on the hardrive as he thinks i will need a new one..

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:48 26 Oct 06

chkdsk /r will diagnose bad sections on the drive and hopefully allow your PC to rebbot so you can back up all your data.

willymagic 13:00 26 Oct 06

hi fruit bat..

i havent got any windows start up disks so not sure how to do what you suggested, they never came with the computer..

Belatucadrus

no it wont start in safe mode, get the blue screen with the error code when you do!!

Strawballs 13:04 26 Oct 06

If its only a couple of months old then the Dell route is the best one to take.

willymagic 13:06 26 Oct 06

strwballs..

thats what i have been doing, talking to a technician from dell, running a diagnostics test and said to email him when its done with any error messages!

Strawballs 13:37 26 Oct 06

It seems a longwinded way of doing it because even after all that it does need replacement parts it will still have to go back. When I had a problem with my HP laptop I phoned HP and they sent a courier to pick it up the next day and I got it back repaired within 2 working days.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…