Dell Inspiron 530 format and reinstall

Eileanbeag 11:40 AM 20 Jun 11

I have Dell Inspiron 530 with Windows Vista. I want to format and reinstall but the return to Factory Settings option has become corrupted. I have all original discs. Dell won't help unless I pay for software advice. I have looked at the drivers and utilities but there seem to be forty or fifty driverfs in a zip files. How do I find what drivers I will need after reinstalling the system?

Taff™ 12:06 PM 20 Jun 11

In the collection of Dell Discs is there one labelled as the operating system or recovery disc?

Eileanbeag 12:44 PM 20 Jun 11

Yes - Operating System and also External Recovery; the third is Drivers and Utilities

Taff™ 12:59 PM 20 Jun 11

First of all back up all your data to an external drive!

Put the recovery disc into the computer CD drive and reboot from the disc. You may have to get the boot options screen first to do this or enter the BIOS to change the boot order. Once it boots from the DVD you should get the options to restore to factory defaults.

Eileanbeag 13:06 PM 20 Jun 11

And will this work even if the Section on the computer (D drive) is corrupt? I have my backup running continuously so that is not a problem but I would be lost if I cannot get my computer up and running again

Taff™ 14:32 PM 20 Jun 11

When you say the D drive I'm not sure what you mean. If the hidden partition, which isn't usually labelled, is corrupt and you can see a D drive then it`s probably a partition of your HDD. Right click it and you should see the size.

The recovery disc supplied by Dell will return it to factory defaults and then the Driver disc will give us any missing drivers and applications but you will have to reload any other programs you use like Office for example.

Eileanbeag 15:05 PM 20 Jun 11

The D Drive is partition of C Drive, 9.99 gigabytes. It contains file called Dell containing factory image. I clicked on this and it seems that this will indeed restore to Factory conditions. Many thanks for your help.

Eileanbeag 15:24 PM 20 Jun 11

Unhappily this is not the answer. PC Recovery on D Partition is corrupted so that is no use

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:44 PM 20 Jun 11

Format and reinstall from the Operating System Disk

For any drivers that are missing - click update driver and click on Install from specific location and browse to the CD drive.

With the drivers disk in the drive windows will search the drive for the required driver.

Eileanbeag 15:52 PM 20 Jun 11

Thanks for all your help.

Taff™ 16:08 PM 20 Jun 11

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ I had to pop out!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…