Dell Inspiron 3521 Battery not charging

johnincrete 10:42 04 Jan 14
Answered

I have kept my laptop plugged in but recently, hovering the mouse over the battery icon at the bottom right corner of the screen gives "5% available (plugged in but not charging). Right click displays "Desktop mode battery charge". Click on this gives a form with tabs: Status, Battery Health,Desktop Mode, Longevity Mode. The status tab shows: Battery Capacity 4%. Battery charging disabled. Enable Dell Intelligent Display in battery mode (unchecked) Enable Dell Extended Battery Life (checked) Remind me when Dell Intelligent Display or Dell extended Battery life is on (checked) Settings - greyed out The Battery Health tab shows a picture with a battery and a tick and "your battery is performing normally" Option Desktop Mode is selected. The other two tabs did not give useful info.

As an experiment I disconnected the battery supply. A warning picture of the battery showed briefly before the whole machine went dead.

Any ideas how I can resurrect the laptop? Why was it not charging and stuck at 4-6%.

chub_tor 11:09 04 Jan 14

Batteries not charging can be caused by a number of reasons but the three main ones will be a)Duff battery; b)Duff charger and c)Duff connector on the motherboard.

But in your comments you say that Battery Charging is Disabled. Is this a Dell Option that you can untick in Power Options?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:32 04 Jan 14

Bought a new battery for my Toshiba that a year later shows 60% not charging but if I pull the mains lead the whole thing dies proving a dead battery. Old battery charges OK but only lasts about 15 mins

So laptop charger etc. OK its the battery causing the problem Manufacturers build in battery recognition software to prevent you using cheap batteries that may damage the machine (their words)

In your case I suspect its the battery but try

Laptop Battery not showing Charging

1. Turn off the computer,
  2. Take the battery out
  3. Take out the power supply
  4. Push the power button down for 30 seconds.
  5. Reconnect power supply
  6. Then the battery.

This is because sometimes the mother board gets static and this clears it and the reason it showed not charging was because it was fully charged.

johnincrete 04:49 08 Jan 14
Answer

Some time after I had posted, I removed the power lead from the laptop in the expectation that I would need to take it to a repairer. My cleaning lady (very cheap in Crete where I live) thought she was being helpful and put the lead back in. About a day later, I noticed and tried switching back on. The power icon told me that the battery was 100% and charging!

So, yet another mistery solved! Well, not solved exactly 'cus I have no idea what the problem was. But thanks anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…