Dell that has always crashed

Ray-303127 15:41 23 Mar 04

I have a Dell 8100 desktop, with a P4 processor, running XP. It will not run programs reliably and it never has. Applications frequently shut down with the "Windows has encounted a problem......" dialogue coming up. The problem module is not always the same.

I have run every kind of diagnostic program but no fault is identifed. I have repeatedly re-instlled the OS with no improvemnt I have installed the OS on a different drive - still the same.I have replaced the memory chips.No change.

We have three other computers in the family- including Dells - that run the problem programs without any difficulty. Even,IExp frequently closes down.

It is never a complete system crash.It seems to occur at times when I suspect that the processor is working hard.

After lots of hassle, Dell had the computer back to replace the motherboard. However I suspect that they simply ran their diagnostic tests, found no problem and just reinstalled the OS.(Should have marked it) Result, everything just the same.

I have had enogh! I now want to salvage what I can from the Dell, eg drives, sound cards etc and start again with a new motherboard and processor. I expect that I shall probably need a new case too.Is this a sensible option? Anybody got any ideas about where to start or other ssuggestions about what to do with the infernal machine.?

matt1234 20:25 23 Mar 04

what it sounds like is a faulty processor try as you said you have some more pcs in your house swap the processors round to see if their is any effect!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…