Dell? Gateway?

CC100 13:32 21 Nov 05

After a few months of begging, my employer has finally decided to buy me a laptop. I found a gateway notebook from staples (£699 including vat). Its perfect for my needs. However, the I.T. guy in my office is insisting i get a dell computer as all the other computers in the office are from dell. He says that there will be less complications with networking if its a dell. I've kind of shot myself in the foot as i have given myself a £699 budget, the dell laptops around this price are nowhere near as good as the gateway model.

Does the I.T. guy have a case?

recap 13:46 21 Nov 05

The make of laptop should not make a difference only the OS might make a difference. Having XP Home rather than XP Pro would be an issue. XP Pro is much easier to connect to a network than XP Home.

PaulB2005 13:47 21 Nov 05

"I.T. guy in my office is insisting i get a dell computer as all the other computers in the office are from dell. He says that there will be less complications with networking if its a dell."

Rubbish.

jack 14:30 21 Nov 05

I agree- Easier for the IT guy Perhaps, but then that merely shows up his limitations.

Certainly if the machine is for work use go the XP Pro- any make you fancy/afford.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…