Dell Factory Settings Reset

Hi guys how do i do this

Dell Diemesion 5150 have tried the F11 key during start up no joy i have also heared about Alt or crtl F11

any other ideas as need dics with machine

mike1967 06:50 15 Feb 07

Try the dell website there is a place where you can have a web chat with a advisor they may be able to help

Can I ask why you want to perform this

Just looked on my dell there is a program under dell accessories, then driver reset tool, this what you after

PaulB2005 07:43 15 Feb 07

All Dells come with a full Windows CD. You need to put that into the CD drive and reboot the PC.

Boot from the CD and you can wipe the disk and load Windows that way. Once loaded then run the Resource Cd to load your drivers.

Dells don't come with a hidden recovery partition which is what the F11 key normally starts.

Mad Mick 08:15 15 Feb 07

PaulB2005 - please be aware that almost two years ago Dell stopped suppling a full Windows CD with new systems. You receive instructions on how to create a rescue disc. If, like me, you create a rescue disk and the disc is flawed you are up the proverbial creek because you only get one attempt!!

Chissy 09:26 15 Feb 07

Have replied to another OP with the same question, hope this helps too.

click here

PaulB2005 09:42 15 Feb 07

Funny. Every Dell (about 8 or 9) i've set up in the last 12 months has come with a full set of CDs... Hmmm

beynac 09:45 15 Feb 07

On my Dell Dimension 5100, it's Ctl+F11. Here's the extract from the user manual:

"To use PC Restore:
1 Turn on the computer and watch the keyboard status lights.
2 Immediately upon seeing the lights flash, press <Ctrl><F11>.
If you do not press <Ctrl><F11> in time, let the computer finish restarting, and then
restart the computer again.
(NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with PC Restore, click Reboot in the following step.)
3 On the next screen that appears, click Restore.
4 On the next screen, click Confirm.
The restore process takes approximately 6–10 minutes to complete."

Mad Mick 11:07 15 Feb 07

PaulB2005 - My Dell was bought 20 months ago and the delivered manuals stated quite categorically that it was no longer Dell's policy to supply an OS disk. I fought them long and hard but they refused to budge and I had to finally buy a retail version of Windows XP. If the policy has now changed I will sue for my money back.

anskyber 11:19 15 Feb 07

Is correct. The process he outlined uses a restore partition to take your PC back to factory settings including of course taking out any updates or programs you have added. It's the solution of last resort. Dells do not come with discs anymore.

Getting Acronis True Image is a very good investment.

PaulB2005 12:54 15 Feb 07

Mad Mick - fair enough. Just not my expereince. Perhaps it was an old model.

"Getting Acronis True Image is a very good investment."

Yes, definately.

MichelleC 13:24 15 Feb 07

Mad Mick, the policy now is if you speak to sales rep at Dell they will send a cd no quibble. I assume that's if it's still under the year's warranty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…