Dell Ethernet connection problem

bruno 11:29 21 May 10

My grand-daughter has a Dell dimension 2400 and the Ethernet connection does not work. PC works fine at my place with a wireless connection. I have searched Google and a Dell forum and they all say to download drivers, which I have done.I get them on to my PC and save then open, but nothing changes. Also I cannot find Ethernet listed anywhere in System/hardware/devices to see if it has any warning symbols.
Any suggestions welcome.

Technotiger 11:36 21 May 10

I had a similar problem, just this morning - I found Ethernet listed under 'Other' in Device Manager - I was then able to highlight Ethernet and Update Driver, which fixed the problem.

bruno 12:24 21 May 10

Thanks for that,I will look under there to see if it is the same.

bruno 12:49 21 May 10

I have just checked that and there is no "Ethernet" in any of the sections.

retep888 16:36 21 May 10

It looks like the LAN controller was not enabled in the bios.

Press F2 while booting up,depending on the Dell's bios,navigate to the page using the arrows/page up/down where you can find the LAN controller, enable it if disenabled.

Windows should find the new hardware and install driver automatically if not then open and install the one you'd downloaded.

bruno 11:13 22 May 10

retep888

Thanks for that tip. It was indeed the answer. I changed the setting to ON and installed the new driver from Dell and the problem is now solved.

Technotiger 14:55 22 May 10

Great, glad to know you are sorted - thanks for your feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac