Dell Dimension 9200 Core 2 Quad - Are they noisey

CodeMeister 16:23 18 Aug 07

Hello,

I'm considering buying a Dell Dimension 9200 with an Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q6600 Processor (2.4GHz,1066MHz,8MB cache).

I'd be grateful if anyone could please tell me if these systems are noisy.

I currently have a Dell Dimension 8300 with a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz and that is much noisier than I would like.

I understand that the Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q6600 Processor can operate at higher temperature and uses power management and the Dell Dimensions use something called QuietCase technology, but you can never tell how noisy a system is until it has been delivered.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
David

spuds 18:41 18 Aug 07

Perhaps not the quick answer to your question, but possibly the links are worth a read click here click here click here

CodeMeister 21:05 18 Aug 07

Thanks for those links spuds, they were very useful.

It would also be nice to hear from someone with first hand experience of the Dimension 9200 as well.

GaT7 18:43 23 Aug 07

If it's not too late, query this on the Dell Desktop - General Hardware forum click here. G

Jaycub120 12:55 28 Aug 07

User experience of the dell 9200 quad core 2.4Ghz
I have this pc for little over a week now and i can say i do find it to be noisy, initially there was a problem with the front panel above the cd drive bay (buzzing) in which a dell technician helped me resolve, and at the moment my machine sits under my pc desk and i can feel the vibration running through the keyboard, there is also the noise of the fan which is only a slight problem but it is audible,
Im using Vista Ultimate 32bit 500Gb raid (0)2Gb ram 22" flat screen monitor Nvidia GE force 8600GTS if you google this you will find other people have had the same problem with this system, as far as using this pc it is very fast and reliable up to this point although im a bit disappointed with the vibrations

spuds 13:22 28 Aug 07

If there is a noise and vibration, was there a check done on the hard-drive, dvd/cd drive or power supply?.

I note that you have stated that the Dell technician helped you to resolve an issue with the cd drive bay!.

Jaycub120 15:35 28 Aug 07

Tried replying to your post spuds and twice they have disappeared maybe i didn't type them up fast enough and i was logged out of the forum

Jaycub120 22:30 29 Aug 07

Hi Spuds got a call from Dell today and removed the hard drives, the second hard drive was jammed into the bay and when i removed and replaced it it slid in quite nicely and i have found the vibration to have stopped, so you were right to point towards the hard drive,
The Dell service was excellent and i am very happy with the 9200 now great machine plenty of power...would i recommend the Dell 9200..well yes and the Dell technicians were very helpful

Rubus 20:53 30 Aug 07

Hello

I'm just about to invest £706 in the same machine, the Dimension 9200 (D09926) & wanted to ask the original poster a couple of questions.

Can you disable the RAID Array (through BIOS or jumper settings)? I really don't want or need the RAID & would rather have 2 * 250GB drives.

How are you finding the Video card? (GeForce 8600 GTS) I've read some excellent reviews on it but would value your opinion as to how it's performing.

I'm not buying their monitor (saving £123) & so I was wondering if they supplied the DVI-VGA Adaptor plug so I can use my existing 22" W/S LCD

Do Dell supply Vista on a DVD or is it on a recovery partition?

I would really appreciate if you could answer some/all of these questions as i'm due to make the purchase in two weeks time.

Many thanks - Richard.

Jaycub120 21:35 01 Sep 07

Hi Richard

yes the system comes with a DVI plug and cable, and although there is a recovery partition you are supplied with a Vista reinstallation DVD,

I don't use the pc for gaming mostly office apps and some beta software,
as far as every day use i find the graphics card flawless Desktop performance for windows aero was a respectable 5.9 and 3D business and gaming performance was 5.5 using the WEI and running windows dream scene as it's new runs flawless with great clarity

i read on the Dell website there was a lot of problems with the raid setup and Vista freezing which is has now been solved,the pc is available without raid and 2x 250GB hd config, as i just opted to have a raid configuration

Hope this has helped in some way

CodeMeister 21:59 01 Sep 07

Hi Jaycub120

First of all. many thanks indeed for your personal account of your experiences with this machine.

Can you please confirm that the noise is now down to an acceptable level now that the hard disks have been swapped out ?

I know that the "Penryn" version of the Core 2 Quad processor will be out very soon now, which has a much faster FSB and operates at a higher temperature, so maybe machines may be even quieter with this new processor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…