dell dimension 8100 psu fan V/ noisy

davro 21:55 26 Feb 05

i have a dell dimension 8100 1.7ghz the psu fan sounds like itS ON ITS LAST LEGS does anyone know if i can just replace the fan or will i have to buy a new psu its a 03E466 250w if i have to change the psu do i need to go for the same 250 wattage? last question does anyone know where to buy ive looked but cant seem to find Thanks.

LastChip 22:41 26 Feb 05

I'm not familiar with your particular model, but Dell normally builds machines from standard components. I suspect you would be able to get a replacement fan from somewhere like Maplin Electronics, however, you could try this first.

WARNING. Opening a PSU exposes you to potentially LETHAL voltages and should ONLY be done if you know exactly what you are doing and the machine is TOTALLY DISCONNECTED from the mains supply. Capacitors within the power supply can hold voltages for a considerable time after disconnection.

Often, a noisy fan can be given a new lease of life just by lubricating the fan bearing. To do this, gently peel back the foil cover on the end shaft of the fan, and apply ONE drop of light machine oil (3 in 1 or sewing machine oil is ideal). Once reassembled in the computer, let it run for a small while and the noise may stop. Alternatively, a replacement fan may be available a indicated above, but often, the localised connection may have to be re-made to connect it to the PSU assembly. Obviously, correct orientation of the wires must be observed.

Totally-braindead 22:47 26 Feb 05

I've built a lot of PCs and wouldn't go inside the actual power supply case, I'd just get a new one. Take it out and go to a computer shop with it and get a replacement, in answer to your question about wattage as long as its at least the same as what you have it makes no difference it only supplies more power if required, you could fit a 550 watt one if you liked although this would be overkill and a total waste of money.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…