Dell Dimension 5150 will not start at all.

Sapins 18:51 26 Feb 08

I'm trying to help a friend with the above computer which, after 3 weeks being switched off, will not start.
The only thing that happens when you press the power button is an Orange flashing light but only if you keep the button pressed in, leave go and there is nothing.

I have tried a new mains cable,removed a UPS, and an extension cable, disconnected everything from the tower, removed the Ram and the cables to the CD Drive to no avail. Any help as to what to do next will be appreciated.

If it turns out to be the power supply, do Dell sell them?

Technotiger 18:54 26 Feb 08
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:14 26 Feb 08

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp.
3 The correct connections for your equipment

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

3. Correct connections
Some boards have 20 pin connectors others 24 pin
There is often a 4 pin plug required to power Intel CPUs
Molex D plugs for IDE HDD and CD/DVD drives
SATA power connections for latest HDDs and DVD drives.

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

novicepcuser 00:04 07 Aug 08

I know this is an old post but for the sake of letting others know, I also had this problem with my Dimension 5150 power on button blinking amber and not responding, this was after only buying the machine in April 2006. I first took the base unit to PC World who told me the machine was knackered and i should invest in a new one, unhappy with that answer I contacted Dell who run through this whole process of pull this out, plug this in, power up, press the cd drive button etc.. etc.. all of this narrowed the fault down to a "faulty input/output panel" according to Dell, however i did some more testing of my own and found a small round flat silver battery on the circuit board, i simply popped this battery out gave it a clean popped it back in and my PC fired up first time and is now performing better than it ever has done. The only effect I can tell is that the computer date and time settings reverted to March 2006, which is easily corrected!

migo 19:33 19 Aug 08

I followed novicepcuser amazingle simple instructions on TWO Dell Dimension 5150 which would not start at all. I took out battery, cleaned with alchol and popped back and AMAZINGLY it worked!! THANK YOU novicepcuser!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…