Dell Dimension 4600 Model DMC MTC2 - Will it take Windows 7 Please HELP

Shikaree 13 Sep 11

Hi Folks'

My daughter has given me her Dell Dimension 4600. It came with XP. It doesn't Bootup. She doesn't have the XP Disc. Of course, you can't get XP any more so I thought I'd try and install Windows 7. Would the Motherboard accept Windows 7 ?

Would anyone please advise.

Thank you very much.

Shikaree

T0SH 13 Sep 11

It looks a bit low in specification to run Windows 7 well, you should however be able to buy a Dell XP Operating System Reinstall CD from ebay for not a great deal of cash

This ebay item is the type you need it easily installs the XP operating system to Dell branded PC`s without requiring any COA

Shop around for the best deal paying special attention to shipping charges :¬)

To begin the install place the CD in the drive switch on the PC when you see the Dell splash screen go tap tap tap tap on the F12 key to get the boot menu choices then use the up down arrow keys to choose boot from the CD drive then hit enter the process will prompt you when your input is required

Cheers HC

buteman 13 Sep 11

Run this and it should tell you if it is suitable.

http://windows.microsoft.com/upgradeadvisor

buteman 13 Sep 11

Sorry it doesnt boot up.Ignore last.

buteman 13 Sep 11

Worth a read.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows7-windowsinstall/can-i-put-windows-7-on-a-dell-dimension-4600/ba4efe5f-d990-49b4-bff7-e43b6b133007

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message