Dell Dimension 4100

duncan_pereira 18:16 18 Sep 10

I have an 11 year old Dell Dimension 4100. It's pulled its weight but understandingly it's too slow and clunky for my liking so i've decided to fit the Mobo into a new sleek Antec case, upgrade the HDD from 20gb to a 7200rpm 500gb wd caviar blue and upgrade the ODD to a basic lg model aswell as going from xp sp3 to the less resource hungry linux mint 9. I realise that the PSU might be a problem as its's only 200watts and that old dell psu's are similar in shape to normal atx but have 20pin mobo connectors. Does anyone know if i can use a regular atx psu (500w) and this adaptor click here without any problems. It would be much appreciated.

brundle 22:20 20 Sep 10

Read this and check your board for the connector in question. click here
This entry at a Dell forum is pertinent too - click here

Your machine uses a non-standard PSU, a standard ATX 24>20 pin converter will not re-arrange the cables into the correct order.

sunnystaines 09:29 21 Sep 10

not done anything for a while with a dell, but they were a nightmare to upgrade as nothing was standard in them.

Ashrich 00:22 23 Sep 10

Also the motherboard may not recognise all 500gb of storage , some serious partitioning will be necessary . Save your money with the Antec case , it probably won't take the slightly different Dell PSU , and a standard PSU may not be compatible with the motherboard , best just get a better Dell power supply for your current case .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac