Dell Dimension 3100 - Not recognising USB Keyboard

prb 11:43 22 Dec 08

I'm trying to reinstall Windows XP on a Dell Dimension 3100 from the Dell windows CD. The computer hasn't any PS/2 ports any works off a USB Keyboard. The keyboard works fine for entering setup etc - up until I need to press 'enter' to install Windows. At this point the number lock light goes off on the keyboard, and keyboard becomes non-responsive. I have tried various keyboards but with no success.

Having searched the internet this seems to be a common problem with Dell computers! Someone has suggested turning on USB legacy in the BIOS... is the BIOS the same as setup? If so, I don't have this option - if not how do I enter the BIOS (I trised pressing delete, but this just sent me into setup).

Thanks

Paul

ambra4 11:51 22 Dec 08

"Is the BIOS the same as setup?"

Yes, Run through the set up menu and see if you can enable USB legacy

prb 12:32 22 Dec 08

Thanks ambra - can't find a USB leagacy option anywhere!

canarieslover 12:41 22 Dec 08

You will find it is USB Controller that you should be looking for.
click here

ambra4 12:44 22 Dec 08

Is there any setting for "stop at all errors"

Change to Except keyboard

prb 13:29 22 Dec 08

thanks for the advice so far - canarieslover, that's the options I see, but under USB controller I hhave options for 'On' 'Off' or 'No Boot' - nothing about USB legacy...

canarieslover 13:57 22 Dec 08

You should have USB Controller set to on.

prb 14:05 22 Dec 08

Yup, that's what I've got it set too - just to make sure I even tried it in the other settings as well - all with no joy (reset back to 'On' now though).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…