Dell Dimension 3000 -mouse stopped working

adenuff 09:21 17 May 05

Hello. Have got a 5 month old Dell dimension desktop, and for no reason (well actually it was a bit erratic for the past two weeks) the usb optical mouse has stopped responding. It wont even work in safe mode, have checked the bios and it is enabled. A balloon comes up saying a usb hardware device has got a problem. There is an arrow on the screen and the egg timer. Have tried a brand new usb and ps/2 mouse in different ports, but no good, Any help please?

recap 11:30 17 May 05

Have you tried uninstalling the USB controller rebooting to allow Windows to detect it again?

adenuff 17:12 17 May 05

well I cant do much at all without the mouse? Is there any way I can get to device manager and see whats going on with just the keyboard?

adenuff 21:13 17 May 05

Have just been on to the dell helpline, and she seems to think it may be an operating system prob. I've just had an awful thought: could it be the registry? I told my friend to download and run ccleaner,which she did last wednesday, and as it asks if you want to back up the registry, maybe it did something to the mouse drivers? Although the mouse only stopped working yesterday...hmmm. Anyone help? Thank you in advance....

adenuff 22:47 17 May 05

Haha! have found a way to get to system properties without a mouse! You press the windows key and the break key and up it pops. Just use the arrow keys from then on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…