Dell Dimension 1100

Sam Colt 18:16 22 Nov 05

Can anyone tell me if a Dell Dimension 1100 is good enough to run Civ4 if I buy it for my nephew to run that game on?

gudgulf 18:24 22 Nov 05

Short answer is no,it wont.

The reason is that it uses onboard graphics which will really struggle with any game beyond the basic Windows games and older 3D games.

The other problem is the motherboard specification for the 1100 reads under "spare slots" three pci slots.

This means there is no AGP(or PCI-e) graphics card slot on the motherboard. So a decent seperate graphics card can't even be added to this system as an upgrade.

Otherwise for the money it is a well speciffied pc.

keewaa 18:29 22 Nov 05

The only suspect is the video requirements as the 1100 has onboard video. The requirements for the game are :

Video:
DirectX 9.0c-compatible 64 MB video card with Hardware T&L support ( GeForce 2/Radeon 7500 or better)

Although I didn't think civ4 was an action game and don't see why the onboard graphics wouldn't work, but worth ringing them if you can.

All the other min system requirements are fine:

Minimum System Requirements

Operating System:
Windows® 2000/XP
Processor:
1.2 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon processor or equivalent
Memory:
256 MB RAM (Windows 2000) / 512 MB RAM (Windows XP)

Hard Disk Space:
1.7 GB Free

CD-ROM Drive :
4X Speed

Video:
DirectX 9.0c-compatible 64 MB video card with Hardware T&L support ( GeForce 2/Radeon 7500 or better)

Sound:
DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card

DirectX®:
DirectX® version 9.0c (included) or higher

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…