Dell & D-link DI 524 Wireless Router HELP!!!

Dionne01 19:56 28 Oct 06

Hello
If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it...
I have just bought a Dell Inspiron 1300 (wireless) Laptop to replace my old desktop. I also bought a D-Link DI-524 Wireless G Router Kit. I have connected it all up and the laptop says it is receiving the network signal fine, but it wont let me actually get on to the internet. I have used the disc that came with the router but I cant get to the last part of the setup as it cant connect to the net and just says "error please check the ethernet cable from your pc and make sure the router is on". I am a telewest broadband customer and have just connected the ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN port on the router box. Can anybody please tell me what I am doing wrong, in simple terms if possible please!
Many thanks

dms05 20:51 28 Oct 06

You are setting up using an ethernet cable from the router to the Laptop? You can't easily set up using the WiFi link, but once set up via an ethernet link you can then use the WiFi

Dionne01 21:01 28 Oct 06

Thanks for the reply. I am setting up with no cable going to the laptop, the ethernet cable is just connected from the modem into the router. Do you think I should connect the ethernet cable to the laptop? Would I in that case need two ethernet cables one to go from the modem to the router and one to go from the router to the laptop?
Thanks

Dionne01 10:15 29 Oct 06

Now my laptop's wireless connection is showing as not connected and when i click conneIt it states that windows is unable to connect to the wireless network! I'm really loosing it now, please help!

dms05 11:02 29 Oct 06

Yes you need 2 ethernet cables for the initial setting up of the system. One for the modem router link and one for the router laptop link. After you've finished the settings for the router and it's WiFi you can disconnect the router laptop cable and connect the laptop by WiFi.

mgmcc 16:34 29 Oct 06

It is very important that, when swapping the connection to the Cable Modem from your PC to the Router, you power off the modem and leave it without power for two or three minutes. This is so that it "releases" the association between the existing connection (recognised by its MAC address) and the IP address it has allocated. It will then find a new connection and allocate a new IP address to it.

As already advised, for the *initial* setup you should connect the PC by ethernet cable to one of the router's LAN ports. If you know what you're doing, you could actually set up the router without it being connected to the Cable Modem and once the Wireless connectivity is up and running, transfer the ethernet cable to the router's WAN port and plug it into the Cable Modem. That would eliminate the need for two cables but, to be honest, you are better to have a second ethernet cable in case you have "wireless" problems and cannot get online.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…