//some 3rd party need geo

Dell, changing colour of LED's ??

Ikelos 15:25 19 Jun 06

hi, I think I read that the LED's that shine on the sides and top of the Dell laptop can be changed to a different colour, any one know how to do it, can find nothing in the handbook..

thanks

Totally-braindead 15:34 19 Jun 06

I've never heard this before, it is possible I suppose as you can get LEDs that will display more than one colour but I would think they would be more expensive than standard LEDs and therefore any PC company looking to save costs would not use them unless really necessary.

I realise this might seem like a strange thing to say as the difference is likely to be only a few pence but if you sell as many PCs as Dell then it would soon add up.

I also think that changing the colours would not be that simple as the colours would have a particular function and as they are hard wired it probably couldn't be changed.
Hopefully someone that has one of these machines can advise on to whether this is possible.
Personally I would think not but perhaps you could tell us where you saw this info on changing the LED colours and this may give us somewhere to start.

Ikelos 15:43 19 Jun 06

thanks, certain i read somewhere that you could change them with a choice of 16 colours. might have dreaming..but thanks anyway.

Ikelos 15:44 19 Jun 06

I will go and hunt for where i saw it..

Ikelos 15:49 19 Jun 06

hi back again...second bit down..

click here

Totally-braindead 16:42 19 Jun 06

Interesting it says "configurable perimeter lighting" which I take to mean the LEDs as you stated.
I suppose this is the laptop you have is it? Only reason I ask is its very unlikely all Dell laptops will have this only the high end ones.

Away to have a rummage through the website and see if I can find anything on it.

Totally-braindead 16:54 19 Jun 06

Well I downloaded the manual and had a look at it and there appears to be no mention of the LEDs which are perimeter lighting.
The only LEDs they do mention are the hard drive, power etc ones which are normal on all laptops that is, device status lights and keyboard and wireless status lights. Even the diagrams don't seem to show anything else so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Ikelos 19:14 19 Jun 06

hi, that is the one i have, got it this morning. at the moment they are red, on the outside of the lid, at the front, at the sides and the touch pad.....

Totally-braindead 20:15 19 Jun 06

Its just a thought but have you tried looking in the BIOS or failing that, what about emailing Dell if you don't get a definate answer off someone on the Forum.

De Marcus™ 20:26 19 Jun 06

Any good? click here

De Marcus™ 20:28 19 Jun 06

From pcmag.com "Like the old XPS M170, the new XPS M1710 is equipped with six grills, lacing the laptop's edges, that light up in a myriad of user-definable colors. You can customize the LED lights to match the XPS's red color or choose from among the 15 other colors available through Dell's Quickset software interface"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…