Dell CD

Terry Brown 20:02 12 Oct 07

I recently had a problem with my Dell dimension 3100, and had to format it,Unfortunately the restore disks are not very good (you never know until you try them), and I have managed to get most of windows back but no USB drives, so I cannot access the USB modem, to get to the Dell site to get to the software I need.
can you suggest USB software that is compatible with Dell, so I can reactive my machine(this is a borrowed one).
Ideally I would like to borrow a copy of the Dell setup disks, so I can restore my machine to it's original full software package.
Any Disks gratefully received will be returned as soon as possible.
Thank you.
Terry

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:21 12 Oct 07

What op system?

If XP then scan for new hardware and see if XP finds the USB ports and should install drivers automatically.

lotvic 20:25 12 Oct 07

Dell Support Page click here

Manual click here

Restore to factory fresh (from the hidden partition on HDD) Page 55 in manual Switch computer on, press Ctrl F11 as soon as keyboard status lights flash, on the next screen that appears, click Restore, on the next screen, click Confirm. Takes about 6-10 mins to complete.

Or if you really want to do it the hard way
3100 Dell Driver and Downloads click here=

lotvic 20:31 12 Oct 07

sorry, it's missed the last bit of my post.

you may be able to download what you need and put on CD

I'm hoping you still have the hidden partition and can do it the easy way :)

Terry Brown 21:04 13 Oct 07

Thanks for replying.
Fruitbat
--Yes it is XP home, but unfortunately the hard drive developed a fault and is unusable, this is a new harddrive.
Lotvic
--As per my reply to fruitbat, there is no partition to recover.I managed to do a partial XP running ,after running the recovery disk countless times and recovering a small piece at a time.
I am now in the process of download the files from your link (thanks)and I hope for the best.
Terry

Devil Fish 23:18 13 Oct 07

if its xp service pack 2 right click my computer then properties click hardware tab then device manager button

scroll down the list to your usb devices right click select update driver and windows should update the drivers for you

repeat above if you have more than one to update

Terry Brown 18:50 16 Oct 07

Devil Fish
Thanks for the input, but as per normal, you do not get an XP CD, but have to make a recovery disk from your hard drive, which you assume is OK -- until you actually need it, then !**!!
Terry

lotvic 20:14 16 Oct 07

according to click here
you just have to contact /call Dell Tech support or Customer care and they will send you the Dell media at no cost

worth a try anyway

Terry Brown 20:40 18 Oct 07

Thanks for the Info lotvic, I was under the impression that you had to buy a new XP CD and the utilities disks.

Now I know I will be contacting Dell and asking them to supply the System and Utilities disk.

This has caused a lot of grief and for what the disks actually cost Dell (pennies),is it worth the hassle of not including them.
Terry

2neat 23:15 18 Oct 07

my laptop hd died. All I had was the recovery disk which I had to make when I got the laptop.
I telephoned Dell to complain as I had lost all the burning media etc. They took the serial number & said all the media would be shipped to me. I was gobsmacked when 2 days later all the media arrived including XP home FOC.
I suppose they save by not including media with every pc but give when requested!

lotvic 17:38 19 Oct 07

Hey that's great - now we know it gets a result from Dell

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos