DELL C521 MEMORY UPGRADE

skyblue58 23:26 20 Mar 07

HAVE JUST PUCHASED 2 MATCHING KINGSTON 512MB MEMORY PC 5300. THE EXISTING ONE IS A 512MB 4200.WHICH SLOTS WILL I HAVE TO INSTALL THE MEMORY IN.MY SYSTEM HAS FOUR. IS THIS MEMORY SPEED OK TO USE AS IT IS FASTER THAN WHAT IS IN MY SYSTEM.CAN I STILL USE MY EXISTING 512MB STICK WITH THE 2 MATCHING NEW ONES.THANKS

MAJ 23:37 20 Mar 07

If you use the slower module as well as the two new modules, they will all operate at the slower speed. Is 1.5Gig of 4200 better than 1gig of 5300, I don't know. The 5300 modules are backward compatible so they should work okay with the older module, so long as they are all the same make. If they aren't the same make, I would stick with installing only the two new modules.

skyblue58 11:40 21 Mar 07

can the new memory be installed in any of the four available slots..the old memory is not the same as the new pair puchased.would you recommend i dont mix the memory..thank you

MAJ 12:41 21 Mar 07

Mixing memory types *can* cause stability problems but it's not always the case that it does cause problems, skyblue58. So on that one you could 'suck and see'. As for which slots to put the new modules in; if you are going to mix the old and new modules, I would put the new modules in the first two slots and the old modules in the second two slots, if you then find that the mixture is causing problems, it's less bother to just take the old modules out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac