Dell on board devices missing

dms05 17:18 06 Jan 08

I've just reinstalled XP and SP2 on a Dell Dimension 2400. However all the 'on board' devices have gone missing eg Intel Pro 1000MT Ethernet card, Intel 845-G PCI SVGA card and AC97 Sound card. The net effect is I cannot connect to the Internet through the ethernet and the Display is only in 8 bits rather than 32 bit (but at the correct resolution). Any ideas how I reactivate these devices? As they aren't shown in Device Manager (at least not as working) and as scanning the Hardware fails to find them I'm wondering what to do next. SIW does show them and says they are enabled but they clearly aren't!

handy4x 17:25 06 Jan 08

try re booting or if you have old usb broardband modem you could use that and then download drivers of the dell website or windows update

dms05 17:28 06 Jan 08

Thanks for the response. I only have ADSL Router so I can't get onto the Internet to download anything!

Crash 17:35 06 Jan 08

Get your service tag and download the drivers from the dell website click here

Crash 17:36 06 Jan 08

Just seen you have said you can't download anything but can you not download them from the pc your on now to download it and transfer it to the problem pc?

skidzy 17:41 06 Jan 08

Have you run the Dell driver and utilities disc ?

dms05 17:41 06 Jan 08

Crash - it looks the most likely route! I'll give it a try.

dms05 17:43 06 Jan 08

skidzy - it's my sons computer and all I was given was a Dell XP Recovery disk. Oh well it looks like the hard way again!

rdave13 17:56 06 Jan 08

Surely the Dell recovery disk is just that. Os, drivers etc.? Returns it to factory state?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…