DELL ALL-IN-ONE PRINTER (A920)

thirteen 19:47 10 Apr 04

Just got a new computer from Dell. They shipped a 'free' A920 with it. When consulting them on the 'phone before buying I was told the A920 would work with Windows 98 (the intention was to use it with my old Dell computer). When I attempted to load the softwere for the printer I got the message: Os not recognised.
I emailed Dell and was blithely told that there were no drivers available for Windows 98!
The model is obviously a last-year's Lexmark. All the Lexmark models have drivers for Windows 98 but I can't make out which mine is.
Anyone help?

Rayuk 20:13 10 Apr 04

Just have a look see which has same specs and use that one,you may need to try a few before you find the right one.

And found that you have to buy your ink cartridges from Dell as they have done a minor change to the printheads[I think]so you cannot use Lexmarks

thirteen 23:19 10 Apr 04

Thanks Rayuk,
unfortunately Dell doesn't give any specs. in its Owner's Manual (Half an inch thick albeit repeated in four languages other than English).
If I can't use the printer in the first place of course the matter of the ink is not an issue but thanks for the tip. I admit to a feeling of entrapment as far as Dell is concerned on this matter.

thirteen 23:22 10 Apr 04

Also the present Lexmark range is slightly different and no printers 'exactly' matched mine in appearance.

woodchip 23:23 10 Apr 04

You cannot damage the Printer by loading the wrong drivers if they do not work delete them from the Printer folder in Start\Settings\Printers

woodchip 23:25 10 Apr 04

Try ones that look something similar

thirteen 23:25 10 Apr 04

Thanks Woodchip. In that case I'll have a go.

LABMAN 23:58 10 Apr 04

Thirteen as far as I can tell your printer looks the same as my Lexmark X1150 so try a driver for that and see how it goes

Rayuk 13:46 11 Apr 04

Specs for Dell920-click here

thirteen 18:34 12 Apr 04

Thanks LABMAN and Rayuk.
Sorry I disappeared for a day - I don't want you to think I'd lost interest!
I went back to the Lexmark site and the Dell link you gave me and agree that the 1150 comes close. I went to the download section on Lexmark and discovered that the drivers were the same for all the 1100 series so I assumed that if my Dell-badged printer was an earlier version of a Lexmark it should still be OK. Three hours of download later I tried it and the drivers weren't recognised!
So that's it. Seems Dell for reasons known only to themselves have ensured you can't use their printer with Windows 98.
Thanks anyway.

thirteen 18:35 15 Apr 04

Just a final bit for information.
I had emailed Lexmark about this, frankly not expecting any reply but I got one!
They said that 'The Dell printers are very similar in looks to some of our products but the
peripherals, consumerables and software are different to our printers.
Therefore it is not possible to cross reference their products with ours.'
Thanks again for your help.
Anyone want a brand new unused Dell A920 All-in-one printer with cables and booklet - sorry no box, I binned it.
Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…